Prep 4 hrs
Cook 8 mins
these are wonderful preperation. time includes chilling time for dough..
Make and share this Cherry Icebox Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, finely chopped
- in bowl, cream butter and sugar.beat in egg and vanilla.combine dry ingredients, gradually add to creamed mixture -- add cherry and lemon juice, stir in nuts and cherries.add cherry and lemon juice.stir in nuts and cherries.
- shape into 4 12" rolls, wrap each roll in plastic wrap --
- refrigerate 4 hours or till firm.
- unwrap and cut into 1/4" slices.
- place 2" apart on ungreased sheets.
- bake at 375* for 8=10 minutes or edges begin to brown --
- remove to racks to cool.
Woo hoo! I've been looking for a good recipe for cherry icebox cookies, as they're a childhood favorite from a world-famous bakery in my hometown. I don't make my way back there very often and have missed them, so it's great to be able to make some at home. These aren't exactly the same, but they're quite close and the texture is excellent! I will definitely make them again. Thank you for posting the recipe! My family and friends of my hometown will all want to make these. :)
I've been making these cookies for several years (although I found the recipe in a community cookbook) and love them. They are easy to make. I like to make them a day ahead and let them chill overnight. I also put the baked cookies in the freezer and they turn out great. Thanks for posting!!
I love icebox cookies and these are just excellant. Thank you so much grandma 2969 for sharing your recipe. So tasty and so easy to make.