Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here are two of our favorite cookies for the holidays
Make and share this Cherry Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained well and then chopped (I put these in my mini chopper and it makes this task a lot easier)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans but walnuts are also good)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour and powdered sugar.
- With a fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press firmly into a 9" square and ungreased pan.
- Bake 10 minutes, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in cherries, coconut and nuts.
- Spread over crust.
- Return to oven and bake 25-30 minutes until light golden brown.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Cut into bars then sprinkle powdered sugar over the bars.
- I cut these into small bars and put them in little foil cups.
Easy recipe... really festive served in individual silver/colored cupcake papers. I brought these bars to a Christmas cookie swap. I have had calls all day asking for the recipe! A keeper.
These make for a beautiful bar cookie on your Christmas cookie tray! The flavor is difficult to describe but the crust is buttery and crisp with a crunchy chewy filling. I was bit surprised that the maraschino cherries did not impart as much flavor as I have seen in other baked goods but realize they are competing with the flavor and texture of the coconut and pecans. These are not overly sweet (could have been a bit sweeter for me), and go very nicely with a cup of coffee. They added very a nice touch to my Christmas cookie trays for school and work. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Made these to take to dinner at SIL's for thanksgiving. But of course we had to try them first to make sure they were ok. They were more than ok. Really easy to put together and tasty besides. Thanks for posting.