A rich tasting bar filled with maraschino cherries and chopped almonds, topped with a cherry almond flavoured frosting. Source: Chatelaine magazine, recipe by Carolyn Potts.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup maraschino cherry, drained and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup maraschino cherry juice or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with oil.
- In a bowl, using a fork, stir flour with 1/2 cup icing sugar; using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the 1 cup of butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Whirl flour with icing sugar in food processor until mixed. Add butter, pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Press mixture over bottom of baking dish.
- Bake in centre of oven until light golden around the edges, 25 - 30 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, put beaten eggs then stir in brown sugar.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture, then add almonds and cherries.
- Spread over warm base.
- Bake in centre of oven until filling is set, 25 - 30 minutes.
- To prepare topping - in a small bowl, using an electric beater, beat cherry juice with 3 tblsp butter and almond extract.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups icing sugar until fluffy.
- Cover and set aside. Cool bars, then spread icing evenly over top.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container, refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
- Note: if you use the cherry juice for the frosting it will be a nice pink colour!