1/1 Photo of Cherry Almond Bars
1 hr 20 mins
Elly in Canada's Note:
A rich tasting bar filled with maraschino cherries and chopped almonds, topped with a cherry almond flavoured frosting. Source: Chatelaine magazine, recipe by Carolyn Potts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherry, drained and chopped
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 2Spray 9x13 inch baking dish with oil.
- 3In a bowl, using a fork, stir flour with 1/2 cup icing sugar; using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the 1 cup of butter until coarse crumbs form.
- 5Whirl flour with icing sugar in food processor until mixed. Add butter, pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- 6Press mixture over bottom of baking dish.
- 7Bake in centre of oven until light golden around the edges, 25 - 30 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.
- 8Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt.
- 9In a separate bowl, put beaten eggs then stir in brown sugar.
- 10Gradually stir in flour mixture, then add almonds and cherries.
- 11Spread over warm base.
- 12Bake in centre of oven until filling is set, 25 - 30 minutes.
- 13To prepare topping - in a small bowl, using an electric beater, beat cherry juice with 3 tblsp butter and almond extract.
- 14Gradually beat in 2 cups icing sugar until fluffy.
- 15Cover and set aside. Cool bars, then spread icing evenly over top.
- 16Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.
- 17Store in an airtight container, refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
- 18Note: if you use the cherry juice for the frosting it will be a nice pink colour!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Almond Bars
Serving Size: 1 (39 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 58.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
maraschino cherry juice