Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cupcakes are great. They're easy to make, portable, and take the formality out of cake. It doesn't matter whether you serve them out of a plastic container or off a silver plate-- your guests will love them. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup soymilk
- 2 cups chocolate or 2 cups carob chips
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 paper baking cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the molasses, 1/2 cup of the milk, and the chips.
- Cook on medium heat until chips have melted, stirring constantly with a spoon.
- Add the oil, vanilla, cornstarch, and stir well until mixed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking soda together.
- Add the remaining milk and the chocolate mixture and stir.
- Spoon into cupcake paper liners and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Test with a knife to see if done.
- Once cooled, you can frost with icing.
My daughter has egg and milk allergies so I've had a hard time finding treats for her to eat. This recipe is really wonderful--very close to an old fashioned chocolate cake. I made a few substitutions: 1c. cocoa and 1-3/4c. sugar instead of the chips, 1teas. baking powder instead of the cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Thank you!
Made these tonight because my daughter request chocolate cupcakes for her birthday - I loved their healthier ingredients but they were really crumbly. Taste was good though
A fantastic vegan recipe. I followed it to the letter and it made *12* big cupcakes, not 6. The caps were big and crunchy kind of like a cookie and the insides were moist and light. Tell all your vegan friends.