2 hrs 12 mins
I'm not a huge fan of sweet breads like these, but all the men in my family rave about this recipe! This is yet another one from that amazing book, Celtic Folklore Cooking, by Joanne Asala. Holidays associated with this recipe: Ostara, spring festivals, Good Friday.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour with the yeast and cinnamon.
- 2Heat milk, vegetable oil, sugar, and salt in a saucepan until warm; stir constantly. Remove from heat and beat for 3 minutes at high speed. Add all at once to the flour mixture, along with the eggs. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 more minutes at high speed. Stir in currants and as much of remaining flour as possible.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough of remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat surface. Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot. Let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Punch dough down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 5Divide dough into 18 pieces and form each into a smooth ball. Place on a greased baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Cover; let rise until nearly double (30 to 45 minutes).
- 6With a sharp knife, cut a cross (to represent either the cross of Christ, the sun, or the combination of male and female energies) onto each. Brush tops of each bun with some of the slightly beaten egg white (reserve remaining white).
- 7Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly.
- 8Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, dash of salt, and the reserved egg white. Add more milk if necessary to give it piping consistency. Pipe crosses on top of buns with a pastry decorator.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Celtic Homemade Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 158.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g