This recipe was in 'Taste' magazine back in 2006. It came via courtesy of the ever popular "Fat Dog Cafe" in Rotorua, New Zealand. To save on calories I make this in a large loaf tin (5"x9" or 13cmx23cm)and don't ice it. In saying that it is really delicious iced for a treat. :)
- 1 cup oil (I use either light olive oil or canola oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 250 g cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sifted icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup toasted muesli (optional)
- Line either a loaf tin or 20cm (8") cake tin with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 180'C.
- Beat oil and sugar together with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs and grated carrot and mix well.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, nuts and seeds.
- Spoon into prepared tin and and bake for 55mins - 60mins approx or until springs back after pressed lightly. Don't overcook as this is a moist cake.
- Leave in tin 10mins before turning out to cool completely.
- Mix together the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon rind and when the cake is cool, ice and sprinkle with toasted muesli if desired.