Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a low glycemic coffee cake. It's not too sweet and contains no refined sugars.
Make and share this Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups carrots, firmly packed grated (about 6 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup agave nectar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a mixing bowl, stir together the carrots, orange juice, vanilla, olive oil, agave nectar, and pineapple until well blended.
- 3. In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, and spices. Mix in the walnuts.
- 4. Blend the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- 5. Pour the batter into a nonstick 9 X 13 pan and bake for about 40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. remove from oven and let cool slightly and remove from pan.
- whip together cream cheese and agave nectar for the icing. Add 2 tbsp Splenda if more sweetness is desired.
This is so good. I was looking for a healthy dessert for Thanksgiving and saw this one with no refined sugar. I made it last night just to be sure it didn't taste like a no-sugar recipe. It certainly didn't. We "tested" it last night and again this morning. I'll have to make another one for tomorrow. I made it exactly as the recipe is written this time but next I will try 100% whole wheat flour.
It was very good. I used all whole wheat flour and pineapple juice instead of orange juice.