Started making this nearly 30 years ago but must admit a long time since I made it (so times a memory estimate). For the caramel sauce I use my own recipe of Rich Caramel Sauce - this is the only one I have used so I don't know how any others would work BUT DO NOT USE commercial caramel sauce toppings made for icecream the are to thin, you will end up with a yukky cake.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (350F) (for fan forced oven you may need to lower by about 5-10 degrees celsius).
- Grease with butter a 20cm (8inch) bundt/baba cake tin (one which gives you a hole in the centre of the cake).
- Sift flours together.
- Cream butter and sugar in electric mixer until soft and well blended, add eggs one at a time blending well between each addition.
- Add flour and milk alternating between the two starting and ending with flour.
- Spread half of the mixture into the prepared cake tin, spread the caramel sauce mixture over and then spread remaining cake mixture over (at this point you can take a skewer and swirl through the mixture to entwine the caramel more into the cake - OPTIONAL).
- Bake in oven for 40 - 45 minutes - test with a skewer and if comes out clean it is cooked.
- Leave to stand in tin for 5 minutes before turning out.
- If serving warm dust with icing sugar.
- Suitable to slice and freeze.