This is just like my favorite pie from Baker's Square. This recipe came from BHG. Cooking time denotes "chill" time. :)
- 1 baked pastry shells
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Creme de Cacao or 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping (1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans or 3⁄4 cup almonds
- 1 cup whipped cream
- chocolate curls (optional)
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine the 1 cup whipping cream, the chocolate pieces, butter, and sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks.
- Return egg mixture to chocolate mixture in saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened and begins to bubble (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- (Mixture may appear to separate.) Stir in the 3 tablespoons creme de cacao or whipping cream.
- Place the saucepan in a bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally, until the mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat cooled chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Spread caramel ice cream topping in bottom of Baked Pastry Shell.
- Sprinkle pecans evenly over caramel.
- Carefully spread filling into pie shell.
- Cover and refrigerate pie for 5 to 24 hours.
- To serve, top with whipped cream.
- If you like, garnish with chocolate curls.
This is my pie of choice from Baker's Square. Boy, is this rich! It's hard to believe that only 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate can produce such a wickedly dark chocolate flavor. I made my own caramel sauce. Everyone loved the pie. I recommend you give this pie a try the next time you want to impress someone.