These are wonderful rich cupcakes with a delightful caramel flavour. I couldn't believe how easy they were to make and how well they turned out. These do not need any frosting or extra flavours, just a light dusting of icing sugar. (Note that this recipe is from the Women's Weekly 'Cupcakes' book so the cups are Australian measuring cups)
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine butter, milk chocolate, brown sugar, golden syrup or honey and milk in a small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until everything has melted and is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Sift flours together and then whisk them into the cooled mixture, finally adding the egg.
- Divide the mixture into the 12 muffin cases, they will be 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a light golden brown colour and check with a skewer.
- Cool on wire rack and dust with icing sugar.
- Note: I have also added 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips to the mixture before baking which was lovely. However you must be careful not to add them too soon as the mixture can be too warm and they will melt instead of keeping their shape.