1/4 Photos of Caramel Apple Pie
1 hr 30 mins
Ever since I made this pie several years ago for Thanksgiving, it has been a must-have at holiday gatherings. Everyone loves it. It takes some time, but it is well worth it. Feel free to make your own pie crust - I do. It's the filling that makes this pie! Also, if you do not like crushed toffee bars, try chopped walnuts or pecans. Be sure to use a deep dish pie pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon butter flavor shortening, chilled
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 cups granny smith apples or 6 cups jonathan apples
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1For pie crust, chill all ingredients, including the flour and vinegar. Combine the flour, salt and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- 2In another bowl, mix water and vinegar with the beaten egg. Add the liquid mixture, 1 T at a time, to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork to form a soft dough.
- 3For filling, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 4Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 5Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and add apples. Toss to mix.
- 6Add vanilla and cream.
- 7Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add apple mixture and cook approximately 8 minutes, to soften apples. Turn into pie shell.
- 8For streusel topping, combine the flour and sugar.
- 9Mix in butter with fork until coarse crumbs.
- 10Stir in the crushed toffee bars. Sprinkle over pie. Add top crust. Seal, flute edge and vent top.
- 11Brush top crust with half and half and sprinkle with sugar.
- 12Bake pie for 15 minutes (you may want to put an old cookie sheet or aluminum foil under the pan to catch any drippings). Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 45 minutes longer or until apples are cooked.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caramel Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.3
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 55.7 mg
- Sodium 433.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 41.0 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chocolate-covered english toffee bars