Creamy caramel, apples and nuts in a flaky cobbler crust. It doesn't get any better than this!
Make and share this Caramel Apple Cobbler recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch kosher salt (less if table salt)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 4 granny smith apples
- 2 braeburn apples
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening, butter flavored
- 6 tablespoons ice water
ON TOP OF FILLING
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
ON TOP OF CRUST
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 teaspoon sugar crystals or 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Whisk together dry ingredients of filling in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Place apple juice and lemon juice in dutch oven.
- Peel, core and slice apples and place in the pot with the juices, tossing as you go.
- Add melted butter, cream and dry ingredients, stir.
- Bring to a boil over med-hi heat, stir and bring to a boil once more.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray 8 x 11 Pyrex baking dish with Pam.
- While apples are cooking, make crust using your favorite 2 crust recipe or my ingredients above.
- Whisk dry ingredients, cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork.
- When it reaches the consistency of peas, add ice water.
- Gently stir with a fork until all of the flour has been absorbed.
- With your hands, form the dough into a clump, then separate into two disks.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough once water has been added.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on dough board and roll dough out into a rectangle about 8 x 11.
- Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut dough into strips.
- Repeat with second disk.
- Put strips of dough around the Pyrex sides and bottom.
- Pour apples into cobbler.
- Stir together pecans, sugar and brown sugar to sprinkle on the filling.
- Place strips of dough on top of the cobbler, picking up strips to layer them in a lattice manner.
- Brush strips on top of cobbler with egg white, then sprinkle with sugar crystals and a dash of cinnamon.
- Bake for one hour.