Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
These wonderful buttery cookies come from "The Divine Miss M" an up and coming young cook I work with.
- Chocolate Frosting: Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Beat until mixture is of spreading consistency.
- You may want to refrigerate for a little while.
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt and add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Chill until dough holds shape when rolled.
- Roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press thumb in each cookie leaving an indentation.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- When cool place about 1/2 tsp chocolate frosting in each cookie indentation.
I wanted a really buttery thumbprint cookie, but with the egg yolk which I felt would be important to bind the cookie. I tripled the recipe and used jam in the center and drizzled with cream cheese frosting I warmed in the microwave. These cookies came out perfectly. I really liked this recipe and I read ALL the other thumbprint recipes and this was in my opinion the Best!!!
I filled mine with seedless raspberry preserves mixed a little bit of chambord (Raspberry liquer). There were gone in a New York Minute! I suggest if you are taking these anywhere...make a triple batch! You can't eat just one!