This recipe has been in my family as far as I know since 1900. The year my Grandmother was married. All the ingredients back then had no chemicals mixed in. BUT, it is still my #1 favorite. Just don't burn the custard in the process. YUK.
- Make and bake a 9" single pie shell. Or use store bought.
- In saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in half & half. Whisk constantly over medium heat till mix is thick and bubbly. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk about 1 cup of the hot mix into the egg yolks, whisking all the time. Add this back into the rest of what is in the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and cook and whisk for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla till well mixed. Let cool a bit, whisk and pour into pie shell and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's.
- Take egg whites and sugar to please you and beat to make meringue. Top pie (sealing edges) and bake till the top is the way you like it.
- Enjoy and save me a piece :O).