1/2 Photos of Butterscotch Meringue Pie
1 hr 10 mins
Firehousecook AKA Cap'n Jack's Note:
This recipe has been in my family as far as I know since 1900. The year my Grandmother was married. All the ingredients back then had no chemicals mixed in. BUT, it is still my #1 favorite. Just don't burn the custard in the process. YUK.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make and bake a 9" single pie shell. Or use store bought.
- 2In saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in half & half. Whisk constantly over medium heat till mix is thick and bubbly. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gradually whisk about 1 cup of the hot mix into the egg yolks, whisking all the time. Add this back into the rest of what is in the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and cook and whisk for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla till well mixed. Let cool a bit, whisk and pour into pie shell and set aside.
- 3Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's.
- 4Take egg whites and sugar to please you and beat to make meringue. Top pie (sealing edges) and bake till the top is the way you like it.
- 5Enjoy and save me a piece :O).
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butterscotch Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.7
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.7 mg
- Sodium 185.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 27.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g