Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Or fairy cakes if you wish. You always see these at parties as finger food, but they are always store brought. Treat everyone by making these delicious little cakes. Little girls especially love them.
- Line a 2 x 12 hole deep patty pans with paper cases.
- Sift dry ingredients into a small bowl of electric mixer.
- Add butter, eggs, milk and essence.
- Beat on medium speed about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and slightly lighter in colour.
- Drop 1 1/2 tbsp of mixture into prepared paper cases.
- Bake in a moderate oven about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool in pans.
- Using a fine pointed knife, cut circles from tops of cakes about 1 cm from the edge and about 1 1/2cm down into patty cakes.
- Cut these in half as they will be your butterfly wings, and put aside.
- Place about 1/2 tsp of jam or lemon butter into cavities of cakes.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Place tops into butterfly wings position.
- Dust with icing sugar.