This recipe was found on the internet at recipeisland.com.
Make and share this Butter Cookies (St. Martin -- Caribbean) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar along with the vanilla extract, until mixture is fluffy & light.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour & salt, then, 1/2 cup at a time, add it to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Scoop dough onto the center of a large ungreased, 9-inch square baking pan, & using a spatula spread it out evenly.
- Bake the huge cookie on the center rack of the oven until firm to the touch & golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven & cut the 9-inch square cookie into 1 1/2-inch squares, making 36 smaller cookies.
- Place them on a wire rack to cool before eating.
Quick and easy! I doubled the vanilla andused caster sugar. They did brown up quite a bit, but perhaps my oven was a bit hot. I pulled them out before they burned. Not like a traditional shortbread but very delicious! Thanks!
These are wonderful! I loved everything about them. So easy to make and they just melt in your mouth. Thanks for sharing! Made for Gimme 5 tag.
Melt-in-your-mouth cookies. So easy to make too. Instead of unsalted butter I used 1 cup regular butter (2 sticks) which is equivalent to 1/2 lb. butter and omitted the salt. I lined the 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper which made it easy to pull the cookie out onto a cutting board to cut into squares. Yummy addition to my cookie cook book and favorite zaar recipes three-ring binder too. Update July 1,2009 Made these again without parchment paper liner and they came out perfect. My family and friends love these cookies. Have shared your recipe with all of them. Made a batch to take to a pot luck Canada Day party today.