1 hr 25 mins
Cindy Lynn's Note:
This recipe is in response to a request for the Betty Crocker (1950-1960) version of the cake. I have tried to retain the authenticity of the period, hence the repetition of the ingredient amounts throughout the recipe. I hope you enjoy it. Mom used to make this one sometimes too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups Soft Silk flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soft shortening
- 2 eggs (1/3-1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, if desired
Creamy Burnt Sugar Icing
- 1Syrup: To make syrup first caramelize the 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy skillet over low heat until clear and medium brown, shaking pan gently to keep from burning.
- 2Remove from heat.
- 3Add slowly, stirring constantly, 1/2 cup boiling water.
- 4Stir over low heat until lumps are dissolved.
- 5Measure and add water to make 1 cup liquid.
- 7Cake: Sift together into bowl, 2 1/4 cups sifted Softasilk flour, 1 cup sugar, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
- 8Add 1/2 cup soft shortening and 2/3 cup cooled caramel-water mixture.
- 9Beat 2 minutes.
- 10Add remaining 1/3 cup cooled caramel-water mixture, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 11Beat 2 more minutes.
- 12Pour into greased and floured pans (2 8-inch pans, or 2 9-inch pans, or 1 9 X 13 oblong pan).
- 13Makes a small cake.
- 14Bake until cake tests done.
- 16Finish with Creamy Burnt Sugar Icing.
- 17Preheat 350°F (moderate oven) 8-inch layers 30-35 minutes 9-inch layers 25-30 minutes oblong 9 X 13 35-40 minutes.
- 18Creamy Burnt Sugar Icing: First make another caramel sugar-water mixture following directions in recipe above.
- 19Caramelize 1/2 cup sugar.
- 20Add 1/4 cup boiling water.
- 21DO NOT ADD any more water!
- 22Melt in saucepan 1/2 cup shortening (part butter).
- 23Remove from heat and add 2 1/2 tablespoons Softasilk flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 24Stir in slowly caramel-water mixture.
- 25Bring to boil stirring constantly.
- 26Boil 1 minute.
- 27If mixture curdles, do not be alarmed.
- 28Remove from heat.
- 29Beat in alternately, 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar and about 3 tablespoons water.
- 30Set saucepan in bowl of cold water.
- 31Beat until consistency to spread.
- 32Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- 33If it becomes too thick to spread, add a little water.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Burnt Sugar Cake (Betty Crocker: Circa 1956)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.9
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 23.5 mg
- Sodium 230.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 41.8 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Soft Silk flour
Soft Silk flour