For kids of all ages, this dessert is dense and chocolaty. When was the last time you had a cupcake with sprinkles on top. It is best to use mini muffin tins.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, about 8 ounces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, toasted,chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter (do-not use old-fashioned or fresh ground)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons whipping cream (about) (optional)
- chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles
- For cupcakes; Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line standard (1/3 cup) muffin cups with paper liners (These are really better made in mini muffin tins.) Combine butter, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate in the top of double broiler set over simmering water.
- Stir until mixture is melted and smooth, Remove from water.
- Whisk both sugars into chocolate mixture, then whisk in eggs 1 at a time.
- whisk in vanilla, then flour, walnuts, salt and remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each).
- Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to rack and cool completely.
- Frosting; Put powdered sugar and the next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth, adding whipping cream by teaspons if frosting is to thick to spread.
- Spread frosting in swirls over tops of cupcakes, sprinkle with chocolate shavings or sprinkles.
Warning: have the ice cold milk on standby!!! These are wonderful, fudgy little bites of heaven. I used a mini-muffin tin and got 36 cupcakes and they baked in about 12 minutes. Be sure and level off the tops before baking, because these do not rise. So delicious, Barb -- thanks for sharing.
This is a very good recipe. I have also seen this one in Bon Appetite, but I don't think that is a good reason to give it a low rating as the last reviewer did. I really enjoyed these ! Thanks for posting this great recipe.
WOW! These are sure to impress - they are WONDERFUL! I made them for a friend's birthday, and was awfully sorry to send the remaining cupcakes home with him. They are rich and the PB frosting is a perfect compliment to the brownie/cupcakes! (P.S. this made a dozen regular sized cupcakes for me... ) Thanks for sharing a GREAT recipe, Barb Gertz!