Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Heathy Appetite with Ellie Krieger.
Make and share this Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup thawed frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, the baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter and oil until fluffy. If necessary, use the back of a spoon to press out any lumps in the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until fully combined. Beat in the vanilla and yogurt.
- Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, stirring until just combined.
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the batter and top with the blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake, pressing gently. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly and then unmold and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. Cut the cake into 2-inch squares.
Now this is a good coffee cake. The cake has a nice undertone of flavors with the wheat flour and the cinnamon-nut topping (I did add a good dash of nutmeg too) and the blueberries just burst with flavor. I did use fresh blueberries instead of frozen. I used almonds in place of the walnuts as a personal preference also. Made a great cake to take to share with friends. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.