Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a super moist chocolate with a delicious decadent frosting. My husband does the "chocolate dance" whenever I bake this cake! It is truly a delicious cake or "darn good cake" as quoted from my best friend.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hershey cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong black coffee (or 2 teaspoons instant coffee mixed with 1 cup boiling water)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (1 CUP regular milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar added) or 1 cup sour milk (1 CUP regular milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar added)
- 1 cup chocolate fudge topping
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 4 cups frozen non-dairy topping, thawed and divided (like cool-whip)
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack until ready to frost.
- Prepare, bake and cool 2 9-inch round cake layers.
- For layer filling, combine hot fudge and instant coffee granules in a medium sauce pan; heat until coffee crystals are dissolved.
- Cool for 15 minutes and then fold into fudge mixture 2 cups of the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place first cake layer on a serving plate and spread with 1 cup filling.
- Top with second layer.
- Add remaining 2 cups whipped topping to the remaining fudge mixture and mix well.
- Frost top and sides of the cake with topping mixture.
- Keep cake refrigerated.
- TIP: Garnish with chocolate curls, chocolate coated coffee beans or grated chocolate.
Awesome! Amazing! Moist, airy, chocolatey and not overly sweet. I iced and filled the cake with whipped ganache frosting for the boyfriend's birthday party and everyone raved! Some folks even said that it was the best chocolate cake they'd ever had! Thanks a ton for posting the recipe and I love to picture your husband doing the "chocolate dance". :)
This cake is OFF THE CHARTS delicious!!! If there were 10 stars that's how I would have rated it!!!!!
OMG is this good cake or what! Served this at my Halloween party and it was the hit of the party. Easy to make AND delicious. You can't lose with this recipe.