Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a super moist chocolate with a delicious decadent frosting. My husband does the "chocolate dance" whenever I bake this cake! It is truly a delicious cake or "darn good cake" as quoted from my best friend.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hershey cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong black coffee (or 2 teaspoons instant coffee mixed with 1 cup boiling water)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (1 CUP regular milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar added) or 1 cup sour milk (1 CUP regular milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar added)
- 1 cup chocolate fudge topping
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 4 cups frozen non-dairy topping, thawed and divided (like cool-whip)
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack until ready to frost.
- Prepare, bake and cool 2 9-inch round cake layers.
- For layer filling, combine hot fudge and instant coffee granules in a medium sauce pan; heat until coffee crystals are dissolved.
- Cool for 15 minutes and then fold into fudge mixture 2 cups of the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place first cake layer on a serving plate and spread with 1 cup filling.
- Top with second layer.
- Add remaining 2 cups whipped topping to the remaining fudge mixture and mix well.
- Frost top and sides of the cake with topping mixture.
- Keep cake refrigerated.
- TIP: Garnish with chocolate curls, chocolate coated coffee beans or grated chocolate.