I enjoy making cakes and letting everyone in the neighborhood taste how good I make them. I got this recipe from one of grandma's secret cards.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine reserved cherry juice,cherries,granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add vanille and stir.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Crumble one half layer; set asideBeat cold whipping cream and confectioner's sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Reserve 1 and 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping.
- Top with second layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; top with third cake layer.
- Frost cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
- Spoon reserved 1 and 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake.
- Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.