I enjoy making cakes and letting everyone in the neighborhood taste how good I make them. I got this recipe from one of grandma's secret cards.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine reserved cherry juice,cherries,granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Add vanille and stir.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Crumble one half layer; set asideBeat cold whipping cream and confectioner's sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Reserve 1 and 1/2 cups whipped cream for decorative piping Place one cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1 cup whipped cream; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping.
- Top with second layer, 1 cup whipped cream and 3/4 cup cherry topping; top with third cake layer.
- Frost cake sides with remaining whipped cream; pat gently with reserved cake crumbs.
- Spoon reserved 1 and 1/2 cups whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe around top and bottom edges of cake.
- Spoon remaining cherry topping over top of cake.
Made this cake for DH's birthday, and will do it again soon - I am just looking for an excuse to make the cake again. It is delicious (please see how I rate)! I will cut down on the sugar added to the cherries, perhaps 1/2 cup will be enough (1 cup was definitively too sweet), but that depends on cherries - I will try to use frozen black cherries and adjust the flavor by trial and error (I prefer when the cherry filling is a bit tart). Another change I will try is to fold in 1 cup of sour cream into the whipping cream (at least, that is what I've had before and it was an excellent cake). Really superb cake with little effort, thank you for sharing the recipe.
Not rating it because my whipped cream icing sugar obviously came out too runny because everything is oozing out of my cake and I couldn't possibly pipe it. I'll try another time adding more icing sugar and review then. For now my husband will have to live with an oozy 40th birthday cake. :P (ETA: I definately used too much whipped cream, hence my problem. Everyone loves the cake anyway!)
DH is a big cherry fan and he loved this cake. I made a few minor adjustments such as using 1 tsp Almond Extract in place of the vanilla. I also made more of a filling instead of whipped cream. I took one small box of instant vanilla pudding and beat it with 2 cups of cold heavy cream. I got that from 1Steve (from this site) and it's a great idea. It holds up very well and is thicker than just whipped cream. I placed a layer of cherry filling then the vanilla filling on top. I didn't use whipped cream on the side, but just used a chocolate icing instead - it was great!