Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Rich buttermilk, crunchy nuts and flavorful, ripe bananas make this banana bread tops.
Make and share this Betty Crocker's Banana Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl.
- Stir in eggs until well blended.
- Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing.
- Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
Delicious banana bread. The one I made in the 8in pan came out perfect. It was moist on the inside and a little crunchy on the outside. The 9in pan I left in longer as the instructions state (I have a Betty Crocker cookbook and it says to do the same thing), but that one came out a little overdone and burnt on the bottom, so I think I'll tun the heat off and place it on a higher rack for the last 15 minutes.
This only got an ok from my lot. Sorry about that, although it could be possible that my bananas weren't ripe enough as they were black on the ouitside but when i opened them they seemed quite edabile. Also i am not the best muffin maker and this may have something to do with it as the recipe calls for mix until just moistened. The outside was crunchy - we all loved that. I added the nuts and chocolate chips. Thanks for posting, happy cooking. Miss Pixie xx x :D