Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
I found this recipe among my grandmother's many, many cookie recipes and with a couple of minor changes, everyone says these are much better than the ones I usually make (those being the chocolate chip cookies straight off the back of the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip bag!) You'll absolutely love them!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used light brown vs. dark brown)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour (I used all-purpose, UNBLEACHED flour)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee, finely ground
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate, if preferred)
- With electric mixer, blend the butter with both sugars until fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and the vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture- blend well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- With your hands, form 1 1/2" to 2" balls and place widely apart on greased cookie sheets (I sprayed my cookie sheets with PAM- the kind with flour in it for baking).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- Makes approximately 20 cookies.
Very good. I needed a recipe that did not call for shortning, as I was out and wanted to only use 1 stick of butter without having to half the recipe. This was a great choice. We did not use the coffee as they were for my 10 yr olds classmates. I also did not spray the pans. Next time we will use less chips, 12 oz was a little too full for us. Overall a great chewy cookie, turned out very nice.
OMG! YUM! I added a large (overflowing) handful of both dried cherries and sliced almonds, and I accidentally added 3 eggs rather than one... They were still amazing even with the extra eggs.
I wasn't able to have any of the these apparently delicious cookies, but the 16 people who did all raved! Apparently they are very good. We needed a treat for tonight's church function and everyone loved them. I will try them in a few weeks when I am off of this darn diet!!!