I got this recipe out of the newspaper many, many years ago. It's very easy and oh so good! You can make it with or without the frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (don't use margarine) or 1⁄2 cup melted butter (don't use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Creamy Brownie Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Stir oil or melted butter, sugar and vanilla together in large mixer bowl.
- Add eggs, beat until well blended using a spoon.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture.
- Add nuts if desired.
- Spread into a greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until brownie pulls away from the edge of the pan.
- Cool in the pan.
- Frost with Creamy Brownie Frosting if desired.
- Cut into squares.
- Creamy Brownie Frosting Instructions:.
- Cream butter, cocoa, corn syrup or honey and vanilla in small mixer bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency.
- Makes about 1 cup frosting.