Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been looking for a basic recipe that I can adapt to suit whatever kind of cookies we feel like making. My son has developed a real passion for baking so we take shortcuts like creaming butter and sugar in the food processor (he's two years old and its easier for him to press the button than to wield the wooden spoon!)
- Cream together sugar and butter (can use all butter or half and half like I do).
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- If using spices add them at this point, I like a combination of 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp of cinnamon and half a tsp of allspice. but have also made them using a cup of chocolate chips.
- Add in the flour a cup at a time (if you are finding it a little dry add a tsp or so of water).
- Roll out between two sheets of baking paper (thanks wife2abadge for this tip!) and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- I roll out about half a centimetre thick (I'm in Europe and don't do inches, sorry!) when cutting out and put on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 for about 6-10 minutes, the time taken depends on the size of cutters you have used.
- Cool for a minute on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack before decorating.
- (This is just a personal note for me! 1 cup butter = 225g).