I have been looking for a basic recipe that I can adapt to suit whatever kind of cookies we feel like making. My son has developed a real passion for baking so we take shortcuts like creaming butter and sugar in the food processor (he's two years old and its easier for him to press the button than to wield the wooden spoon!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream together sugar and butter (can use all butter or half and half like I do).
- 2Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- 3If using spices add them at this point, I like a combination of 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp of cinnamon and half a tsp of allspice. but have also made them using a cup of chocolate chips.
- 4Add in the flour a cup at a time (if you are finding it a little dry add a tsp or so of water).
- 5Roll out between two sheets of baking paper (thanks wife2abadge for this tip!) and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- 6I roll out about half a centimetre thick (I'm in Europe and don't do inches, sorry!) when cutting out and put on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 7Bake at 400 for about 6-10 minutes, the time taken depends on the size of cutters you have used.
- 8Cool for a minute on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack before decorating.
- 9(This is just a personal note for me! 1 cup butter = 225g).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Sugar Cut out Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.1
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 21.5 mg
- Sodium 44.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g