1/5 Photos of Basic Pie & Pastry Crust + Tips & Tricks
Your basic pie pastry recipe along with tips to help you make a most deliciously tender and flaky crust. From an article in my local newspaper
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut shortening into flour/salt until it looks like peas.
- 2Add very cold water all at once and quickly toss with a fork; shape into a ball being careful not to over knead.
- 3Divide dough in half and roll thin.
- 4This makes two single piecrusts or one double crust pie.
- 5TIPS AND TRICKS:.
- 6To avoid a soggy crust, try brushing the bottom of the crust with egg white before adding fruit; filling the shell *just* before baking also helps prevent sogginess; sogginess can also be caused from the oven temperature being too low or the time too short.
- 7For a flakier upper crust, brush lightly with cold water before popping in the oven; also keep ingredients and dough cold until baked.
- 8To prevent the crust from shrinking, avoid stretching the dough as you roll it and avoid stretching it when placed in the pie plate; allowing the pie shell to rest about 30 minutes before baking will also help prevent shrinking.
- 9Never shake the flour while placing in the measuring cup; instead, level it with the back of a knife.
- 10Toss ingredients with a fork, lightly and quickly, rather than stirring.
- 11Don't use too much water; about 1/2 c of iced water to 2 cups of flour.
- 12To prevent burning of the crust, try baking the pie in a large paper bag stapled closed, being sure that it doesn't touch any part of the oven; or use an oven- roasting bag.
- 13Try rolling some grated cheese into the dough when making an apple pie.
- 14Try adding toasted slivered almonds to piecrust that you intend to fill with a cream filling or cherry filling.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Pie & Pastry Crust + Tips & Tricks
Serving Size: 1 (701 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1588.6
- Calories from Fat 939
- Total Fat 104.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 586.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 19.3 g