Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Your basic pie pastry recipe along with tips to help you make a most deliciously tender and flaky crust. From an article in my local newspaper
- Cut shortening into flour/salt until it looks like peas.
- Add very cold water all at once and quickly toss with a fork; shape into a ball being careful not to over knead.
- Divide dough in half and roll thin.
- This makes two single piecrusts or one double crust pie.
- TIPS AND TRICKS:.
- To avoid a soggy crust, try brushing the bottom of the crust with egg white before adding fruit; filling the shell *just* before baking also helps prevent sogginess; sogginess can also be caused from the oven temperature being too low or the time too short.
- For a flakier upper crust, brush lightly with cold water before popping in the oven; also keep ingredients and dough cold until baked.
- To prevent the crust from shrinking, avoid stretching the dough as you roll it and avoid stretching it when placed in the pie plate; allowing the pie shell to rest about 30 minutes before baking will also help prevent shrinking.
- Never shake the flour while placing in the measuring cup; instead, level it with the back of a knife.
- Toss ingredients with a fork, lightly and quickly, rather than stirring.
- Don't use too much water; about 1/2 c of iced water to 2 cups of flour.
- To prevent burning of the crust, try baking the pie in a large paper bag stapled closed, being sure that it doesn't touch any part of the oven; or use an oven- roasting bag.
- Try rolling some grated cheese into the dough when making an apple pie.
- Try adding toasted slivered almonds to piecrust that you intend to fill with a cream filling or cherry filling.
Best recipe I've ever tried. Very easy to roll out and handle, nice and smooth, and doesn't get tough even though I took the parts I trimmed off my pie, re-rolled it out, and made cut outs to put on top. Turned out great! :)
My search for a great pie crust recipe stops here!
This was a beautiful crust for savory tarts. Definitely a keeper!
This was super easy to make and turned out great. I used gluten free flour instead since i am a celiac, and the crust turned out nice and flaky.