Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This Basic frosting mix came from a now out-of-print cookbook. It is the frosting that garnished most of our cakes growing up at a time when I had no idea there was any such thing as a cake-in-a-box or prepackaged frosting. The stuff at the store doesnt compare. Additionally you can make this any flavor by simply substituting the vanilla. For example lemon juice & zest, chocolate, maple flavoring, peppermint flavoring, etc.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco recommended)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine (butter tastes better)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla (real vanilla is best)
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Cream butter and Shortening Add Vanilla Using a mixer, beat at Medium speed.
- Slowly sift in Confectioners sugar Keeping mixer at Medium speed or below.
- Once sugar is completely mixed in, add Milk.
- Mix at High speed until light and fluffy Cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.
Good tasting and easy to tint. Thanks.
This frosting is good. I used it to cover a Devil's Food Cake. I did add 1 tsp. of almond extract, just to enhance the flavor a bit, because I used all shortening. I made 1 1/2 amounts of this recipe, and it was enough to frost a cake from a Wilton Giant Cupcake pan. I tinted half of it green to pipe up the bottom of the "cupcake" so it would look like a giant cupcake liner, and it looked awesome.
This frosting is was wonderful! Very easy to make and so tasty. Everyone loved it. This will definitely be used again and again!