Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From November 2007 Table Magazine. Have not included chilling times for filling or base (2 hours 35 minutes).
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour (185 grams sifted)
- 125 g butter (cold chopped)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 395 g sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- 60 g butter (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (110 grams)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 bananas (thickly sliced on the diagonal just before serving)
- whipped cream (to serve)
- nutmeg (grated to serve)
- Grease a 22cm loose-based flan tin.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and rub in butter, using fingertips, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Or mix in a food processo.
- Stir in sugar, add egg yolk and 1-2 tablespoons water, mixing with a metal spatula, until mixture comes together. Or if usin a food processor put in suga, mix then add egg yolk, mix and then add water (1 tablespoon at a time) until mixture comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celsius or 180 degree celsius for fan forced ovens.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of plastic wrap until 5mm thick.
- Ease into prepared pan, press into sides and trim edges.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- To blind bake - line pastry with baking paper and fill with dried rice or pasta (you will only be able to reuse these for blind baking) or use purpose made ceramic beads - bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove rice/pasta/beads and paper and return base oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until golden.
- Combine condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a heavy based saucepan on low heat, stirring for about 10 minutes until golden. Cool.
- Pour caramel into pastry case and chill for 2 hours, until firm.
- Arrange sliced bananas on top.
- Slice and serve with a large dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated nutmeg.
Mmmmmh, banoffee pie tastes so good! I boiled the filling for about 4 minutes and it set nicely. I then covered the pie with about 3/4 cup cream. Thanks for this easy recipe : its delicious!