This a one of my more recent recipes, one which was passed along from a family member. I have to tell you he so knows how to choose fantastic tasting desserts and this one is fantastic. Well worth the splurge for all those special occasions, or when you want to make something extra special! Yes, we love this one!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups pastry flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 cup white chocolate (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup white chocolate (for garnish,may use more if you wish)
cream cheese frosting
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup icing sugar (sifted)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350, grease and flour 2 9 inch cake pans.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the chopped white chocolate and divide mixture into into pans, spread evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool ten minutes in the pans, then turn out onto a serving plate.
- Cream Cheese Icing: with electric beater cream cheese until smooth, then beat in the butter.
- Reduce speed and add icing sugar beating until smooth, stir in sour cream.
- To Assemble: When completely cool ice and garnish with large white chocolate curls made using a vegetable peeler.
- Note: have made this using layer cake pans as well as in a 9x13 pan which makes for a great 'bake and take'.
This is a very nice cake. Quick and easy, but what is pastry flour? I did expect it to be moister, but it is still a nice cake. Made for Aus/NZ swap 32, 2008.
This cake was easy to make, and had a nice banana flavor. I made a half recipe - the layer was thinner then I expected, so halved it and stacked to make 2 layers; I would use 8"rounds if making again. It was a little sweet , and I had cut back on the white choc after reading other reviews. I think chopped or ground walnuts would be a good addition. This isn't my favorite type of cake but the group I served it to loved it, and I had recipe requests! I used my own cream cheese frosting that uses whipped cream instead of sour cream. Made for the Comfort Cafe July 09
This is one of the best cakes ever! It really is a nice combination of whit chocolate chips and bananas. I took it to the bridal shower and it was nearly all gone when I took it back home (and believe me that's a good thing because I used a very large pan for this cake).