1/1 Photo of Banana Split Pie
2 hrs 45 mins
This is a delicious pie that is good at a potluck supper or at dessert parties and is loved by old and young.You can us a ready made prebaked crust a graham cracker crust or a chocolate wafer cookie crust or your favorite recipe fitted into a 9 inch pie plate, pricked all over, and baked in a 375°F oven for 16 to 18 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2 -3 bananas
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1/2 pint strawberry, hulled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 maraschino cherry (optional)
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.
- 2Gradually whisk in the milk until blended.
- 3Set over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- 5Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot thickened milk.
- 6Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan.
- 7Boil the custard, whisking, for 1 minute.
- 8Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted.
- 9Blend in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- 10Set aside, whisking occasionally, until cooled to room temperature.
- 11Cover with a sheet of waxed paper directly on the custard and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- 12Whisk again to smooth out and then stir in the chocolate bits.
- 13Peel the bananas and slice fairly thinly crosswise on the diagonal.
- 14Line the bottom and sides of the pie shell with the banana slices.
- 15Pour in the chocolate chip custard and smooth the top of the custard in concentric circles.
- 16Whip the cream lightly.
- 17Beat in the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- 18Beat until stiff.
- 19Spread the whipped cream decoratively over the top of the pie.
- 20Strawberries are to be arranged decoratively on top of the pie.
- 21Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top and set the cherry in the center.
- 22Refrigerate until serving time.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Split Pie
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.6
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 162.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g