This is a delicious pie that is good at a potluck supper or at dessert parties and is loved by old and young.You can us a ready made prebaked crust a graham cracker crust or a chocolate wafer cookie crust or your favorite recipe fitted into a 9 inch pie plate, pricked all over, and baked in a 375°F oven for 16 to 18 minutes.
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2 -3 bananas
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 1⁄2 pint strawberry, hulled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 maraschino cherry (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.
- Gradually whisk in the milk until blended.
- Set over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot thickened milk.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan.
- Boil the custard, whisking, for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until melted.
- Blend in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Set aside, whisking occasionally, until cooled to room temperature.
- Cover with a sheet of waxed paper directly on the custard and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Whisk again to smooth out and then stir in the chocolate bits.
- Peel the bananas and slice fairly thinly crosswise on the diagonal.
- Line the bottom and sides of the pie shell with the banana slices.
- Pour in the chocolate chip custard and smooth the top of the custard in concentric circles.
- Whip the cream lightly.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until stiff.
- Spread the whipped cream decoratively over the top of the pie.
- Strawberries are to be arranged decoratively on top of the pie.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top and set the cherry in the center.
- Refrigerate until serving time.