Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
My daughter's boyfriend's mom gave her a cookbook that was created by the Houston Ballet for their Nutcracker Christmas Market in 1984. The recipes in the book were submitted by directors, choreographers, and dancers in the Houston Ballet that year. This recipe was submitted by Leeanna Vidaurri, Corps de Ballet.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- In a small bowl mix the coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- Grease and flour a 9" tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Beat into banana mixture to blend.
- Pour half of the batter into the tube pan. Sprinkle with half of the coconut mixture. Add remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
WOW!!! This cake is outstanding! The only change I made was to add a light layer of pecans in the middle struesel layer. The pan I used was a sunflower type hole-less bundt pan, which looks lovely! A couple of notes... Next time I make it I will put last struesel layer in first (rather than last), meaning it will show on the top of the cake! I used unsweetened coconut, which worked out perfectly. Thanks, loof, for sharing this outstanding cake!! Made for 1-2-3 Hits.
wow! Great cake. The smell was amazing while baking. It's moist and so yummy. I reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup. That's perfect. Thanks Loof :) Made for the Australian recipe swap for March 2011
I am NO baker and this came out beautifully! I used Katzen's suggestion and put the coconut mixture in first and then 1/2 way through and it worked perfectly. I actually went out and bought the silicone bundt pan to make this and clearly it was a good investment. I FINALLY have a baked item that I can always make for special occasions, etc. It might sound silly, but this is a big deal! :D Made for PRMR tag game. Thanks loof! :)