Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is from The Australian Women's Weekly "Cafe Favourites" cookbook. This is my favourite banana bread! I double the recipe, and cook it in a large square cake tin, then cut it into two rectangle loaves once it is cooked. We usually have one loaf warm on the day I cook it, then have the other loaf toasted for breakfast!
- 90 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup banana, mashed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Reheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan-forced). Grease a 14cmx21cm loaf pan; line the base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5 cm above the long sides.
- Beat butter, vanilla, and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in banana then sifted flours, in two batches.
- Spread mixture into pan; cover with a strip of pleated foil. Bake 40 minutes; uncover, bake another 30 minutes. Stand 5 minutes; lift onto a wire rack to cool. Serve toasted or warm, with butter if you like.
This was a easy banana bread to whip up and has a great flavor! It is denser that most breads I have tried and I was not sure about the amout of brown sugar, but it was perfect, not too sweet at all! Made for I Recommend Tag.
Simplicity in a banana bread at its BEST. Loved how the banana flavor stood out without the fuss of nuts or other dried fruits. Great level of moistness and stayed fresh too which was a huge plus. I even took a slice one morning and toasted it and spread on a bit of peanut butter - YUM! Thanks for sharing this recipe during ZWT7.
Prefect banana bread! Not complicated at all and turned out wonderfully. It was the perfect banana flavor and very moist. A great recipe for people who don't like nuts or raisins added to their bread. Made for ZWT 7.