Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My young'uns think this treat is even more special than 'nana bread. Mos'ta the time, I jes' leave out the frostin', and nobody don't never complain (they ain't fools!)...Al'tho if ya do have the time, the frostin' makes a mighty fine treat. This recipe come from a tore-up ol' copy of Taste of Home's Quick Cooking.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2-3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional)
- 6 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups powdered sugar (optional)
- Cream together shortening and the sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in bananas and vanilla.
- Combine flour, soda and salt, then add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into a Pam-Sprayed 13x9" pan.
- Bake at 350* for 25 to 30 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting: For frosting: combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool a bit.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar till frosting reaches a good spreading consistency.
Alright, how dare you post something so good I almost eat half a pan myself. I will probably make this instead of banana bread from now on. I made it without the frosting and they are wonderful. I wish that I could give these 10 stars. Well if you will excuse me now, I need to finish the other half and then make some more before my husband gets home so he doesn't see how many I ate. I can no longer blame the children, they are old enough to tell on me now!!! Thank you very much!!!
Ok, here goes! my specialty is healthful food cooking without diminishing flavor. SO.. i would like to suggest a few substitutions that would lower the fat(at least the saturated part) and spare some calories, i promise it will work. replace the shortening with a soft vegetable spread, leaving out about 1/4 cup. Replace the eggs with 2 Tbsp of canola per egg, or half and half oil and water. Diminish the sugar by one third. I bet you they will still be wonderful to all... and look what you spared yourself! lol.. now you CAN eat 2! Karyl
These were wonderful--big hit at a get-together...dense and rich