A different method for making baklava. Less calories per piece and you get a lot more pieces. It tastes the same as the traditional cut.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups nuts (I use 1 1/2 c pecans, 1 1/2 cup walnuts)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 (8 ounce) packages filo pastry
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 whole clove
- honey syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon brandy (or 2 tsp. vanilla)
- 1Bake at 325 until light golden brown.
- 2Chop nuts in blender until finely ground. Mix in the sugar and ground cinnamon, set aside.
- 3Brush bottom of a cookie sheet with a little melted butter (I leave the paper wrapper around the filo and place a slightly damp towel over the filo to keep it moist).
- 4Place one filo sheet on working surface and with a pastry brush gently brush with the melted butter as quickly as possible.
- 5Repeat the process with two more sheets of filo.
- 6Sprinkle with nut mixture covering all but about one inch on the long side of the filo sheets and about 1/2 inch on the sides.
- 7Roll from long end to long end, and fold the ends.
- 8Then place seam side down on the baking sheet.
- 9Sprinkle with rose water (if you don't have rose water, plain water will do, but very lightly sprinkle and brush lightly with butter).
- 10Cut on a slant through the top layer to mark 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and place a whole clove in the top of each piece. Bake until light golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool and then cut all the way through.
- 11Place in a 13 x 9 pan and pour slightly cooled honey syrup over it and cover with foil.
- 12Let stand overnight or a few hours before placing in a tin.
- 13HONEY SYRUP:.
- 14Grate rind (thin yellow, no white) from lemon; squeeze lemon juice (1 1/2 teaspoons) and set aside.
- 15Place lemon rind, sugar, water, cinnamon stick and cloves in a heavy medium-size saucepan; bring to boiling, lower heat, continue to cook, without stirring, 25 minute or until mixture is syrupy.
- 16Remove from heat, remove cloves and cinnamon and stir in honey.
- 17Stir in lemon juice and brandy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (1545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 77.6
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.2 mg
- Sodium 66.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: