Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different method for making baklava. Less calories per piece and you get a lot more pieces. It tastes the same as the traditional cut.
- 3 cups nuts (I use 1 1/2 c pecans, 1 1/2 cup walnuts)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 (8 ounce) packages filo pastry
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 whole clove
- honey syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon brandy (or 2 tsp. vanilla)
- Bake at 325 until light golden brown.
- Chop nuts in blender until finely ground. Mix in the sugar and ground cinnamon, set aside.
- Brush bottom of a cookie sheet with a little melted butter (I leave the paper wrapper around the filo and place a slightly damp towel over the filo to keep it moist).
- Place one filo sheet on working surface and with a pastry brush gently brush with the melted butter as quickly as possible.
- Repeat the process with two more sheets of filo.
- Sprinkle with nut mixture covering all but about one inch on the long side of the filo sheets and about 1/2 inch on the sides.
- Roll from long end to long end, and fold the ends.
- Then place seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with rose water (if you don't have rose water, plain water will do, but very lightly sprinkle and brush lightly with butter).
- Cut on a slant through the top layer to mark 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch pieces and place a whole clove in the top of each piece. Bake until light golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool and then cut all the way through.
- Place in a 13 x 9 pan and pour slightly cooled honey syrup over it and cover with foil.
- Let stand overnight or a few hours before placing in a tin.
- HONEY SYRUP:.
- Grate rind (thin yellow, no white) from lemon; squeeze lemon juice (1 1/2 teaspoons) and set aside.
- Place lemon rind, sugar, water, cinnamon stick and cloves in a heavy medium-size saucepan; bring to boiling, lower heat, continue to cook, without stirring, 25 minute or until mixture is syrupy.
- Remove from heat, remove cloves and cinnamon and stir in honey.
- Stir in lemon juice and brandy.
I used allspice and a dash of nutmeg instead of a clove. On top, I sprinkled confection sugar and allspice for a touch of color