1/4 Photos of Baked Sugar Doughnuts (Bread Machine)
2 hrs 20 mins
Chris from Kansas's Note:
These are soooo good. They take a little time to make, but are worth the effort to get great-tasting lower-fat doughnuts. The recipe is from Taste of Home magazine and is credited to Jill Shramek.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup milk (70 to 80 degrees)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
- 2Bring to a boil; cook until tender.
- 3Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; set liquid aside to cool to 70-80 degrees.
- 4Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup to cool to room temperature.
- 5(Refrigerate any remaining mashed potatoes for another use).
- 6In bread machine pan, place dough ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer, adding reserved cooking liquid and potatoes.
- 7Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; some flour may remain on top; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 8When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- 9Knead in an additional 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour if necessary.
- 10Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 11Cut with a 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
- 12Place on greased baking sheets; cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 13Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 14Combine sugar and cinnamon.
- 15Brush warm doughnuts with butter; dip in cinnamon-sugar.
- 16Note: Use of the timer feature is not recommended.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Sugar Doughnuts (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (2024 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.9
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.3 mg
- Sodium 98.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 3.1 g