Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I gave "Mommy Diva" some recipes for Huckleberries and she suggested posting this one. This makes one deep dish pie or two 8-9 inch pies. The pies have one crust.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 cups huckleberries
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest or 2 teaspoons dried lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- aluminum foil
- 3 inch wide strips of tinfoil around edges of crusts.Preheat oven 400* Prebake pie crust or pie crusts if you make two pies for 8 minutes.
- Take out and cool.
- Turn oven down to 375*.
- In mixing bowl add cream cheese, beaten eggs.
- 1 cup powdered sugar, evaporated milk.
- 1 tsp vanilla. Mix low speed until blended.
- In another mixing bowl, mix 2 1/2 cups huckleberries, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest or dried rnd. Mix and set aside.
- Mix 1/3 cup cold water and cornstarch together. Add to huckleberry mixture and mix well.
- Put 1/3 cup cold water and 1/2 cup huckleberries in blender and blend.
- Add to huckleberry mixture. This is an optional step. If you don't want more juice just add in 1/2 cup huckberries and don't blend.
- Add the fruit mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Mix or fold, your preference.
- Spoon and pour into prebaked crust or crusts.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Then cool.
This was so yummy! I didn't have quite 3 cups of huckleberries, so I added 1/2 cup of wild strawberries to make up the difference. I did forget to add the cornstarch, but it didn't seem to hurt the texture much (I didn't do the extra step with the huckleberries though). I don't recommend using the Marie Callendar "deep dish" pie crusts, though. They bubbled and cracked during the prebaking, and it was a good thing there were two in the package, because the filling didn't fit in just one. Attempt #2: Awesome! I used Krusteaz crust mix in glass pie dishes this time, so there was no problem with the crust, and left the cream cheese out to soften, which made it easier to mix. My husband and friends absolutely loved it! thanks so much for the recipe!