1/1 Photo of Autumn Apple Buckle
Buckles, simple streusel-topped cakes studded with fruit, are traditionally made with summer berries. Substitute tart apples, for a denser, more coffee-cake-like dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- 2MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:.
- 3In a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt.
- 4Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles moist sand.
- 5Add the walnuts and pulse 3 times.
- 6Transfer the mixture to a bowl and press into large crumbs.
- 7MAKE THE BATTER:.
- 8In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, ginger and salt.
- 9In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- 10Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 11Beat in the honey.
- 12Add the lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth.
- 13Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the half-and-half and beat at low speed until smooth.
- 14Fold in the apples.
- 15Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 16Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- 17Bake the buckle in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 18Let cool for at least 1 hour before unhinging the springform and removing the ring.
- 19Cut the buckle into wedges and serve with sweetened whipped cream.
- 20MAKE AHEAD:.
- 21The buckle can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Apple Buckle
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.1
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 175.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 42.7 g
- Protein 7.5 g