Buckles, simple streusel-topped cakes studded with fruit, are traditionally made with summer berries. Substitute tart apples, for a denser, more coffee-cake-like dessert.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles moist sand.
- Add the walnuts and pulse 3 times.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and press into large crumbs.
- MAKE THE BATTER:.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, ginger and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the honey.
- Add the lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the half-and-half and beat at low speed until smooth.
- Fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake the buckle in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour before unhinging the springform and removing the ring.
- Cut the buckle into wedges and serve with sweetened whipped cream.
- MAKE AHEAD:.
- The buckle can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
This has a really nice flavor but I found thought there was too much apple with little cake and the moisture of the apples made the cake there was too mushy for me. I will try this again with and cut the apple in half. Made for PRMRT
Fantabulous apple dessert! I could not get enough of this and was glad there were others to share in the pleasure as I most definitely could have eaten the whole thing myself. It is so moist and the flavor of the granny smith apples just shine through the cake itself and then add to that the wonderful nutty topping well it just makes it a star dessert. The only little tweak I made was to add a bit of fresh ground nutmeg to the topping mix as I love that combination with cinnamon. It is lovely warmed up and does last a good bit using the refrigerator too. I'll definitely be saving this to my favorites cookbook as it is just delightful. Oh want to mention that it only took 60 minutes to bake in my oven so definitely watch it as it turns golden (this may be because my springform pan is a dark coated pan). Made for 123 Hit Wonders.
Although I'd made this to take to a neighbor couple, I ended up sharing it with them (they got half of it & I kept the other half!)! GREAT, GREAT TASTING & well-worth making again! I made up some exceptionally dark brown sugar to use in this recipe & was generous with the lemon zest, as well! Ended up serving it with a nice helping of cold, homemade chunky apple sauce rather than the whipped cream! Thanks for posting this wonderful keeper of a recipe! [Tgged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]