Born, raised & still residing in Lancaster County Amish/PA Dutch Country this is as authentic as it gets. This recipe is from the Mennonite Community Cookbook that's older than me & given to me by my mother. I saw a few other versions posted, but none were like this one. You could use 9 inch pre-pared pie crust but for the real deal you may want to start from scratch (see my Homemade Pie Crust (Pa Dutch Country) for the crust that goes with).
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add molasses.
- Combine sugar and flour and rub in shortening to make crumbs.
- Pour 1/3 of the liquid into an unbaked crust.
- Add 1/3 of the crumb mixture.
- Continue alternating layers, ending with crumbs on top.
- Bake at 375 for approximately 35 minutes.