1/2 Photos of Authentic Shoo Fly Pie (Straight from Lancaster Co.)
Born, raised & still residing in Lancaster County Amish/PA Dutch Country this is as authentic as it gets. This recipe is from the Mennonite Community Cookbook that's older than me & given to me by my mother. I saw a few other versions posted, but none were like this one. You could use 9 inch pre-pared pie crust but for the real deal you may want to start from scratch (see my Homemade Pie Crust (Pa Dutch Country) for the crust that goes with).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add molasses.
- 2Combine sugar and flour and rub in shortening to make crumbs.
- 3Pour 1/3 of the liquid into an unbaked crust.
- 4Add 1/3 of the crumb mixture.
- 5Continue alternating layers, ending with crumbs on top.
- 6Bake at 375 for approximately 35 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Shoo Fly Pie (Straight from Lancaster Co.)
Serving Size: 1 (976 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3196.3
- Calories from Fat 1017
- Total Fat 113.0 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1697.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 521.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 247.7 g
- Protein 30.5 g