1/5 Photos of Austrian Strawberry Torte
This elegant looking fruit torte is one of the recipes that a family member brought back after a stay in Germany, where strawberry season sees these cakes in all the bakeries and cafes. Thanks to her grandmother we enjoy this marvellous dessert that never fails to please. In the off season I drain canned peaches and arrange the slices making for a impressive looking dessert when fresh strawberries are not available. The original recipe calls for a package of Oetker glaze which I am not finding this past while - any of the clear fruit glaze mixes will work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup icing (approximately I/2 cup white icing, enough to lightly cover base)
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries (enough to generously cover cake)
- glaze (clear glaze, mix as directed on package)
- 1Preheat oven to 350, grease flan pan, flour to keep from sticking - I use cooking spray to grease pan.
- 2Beat sugar and eggs until fluffy, add butter, salt, baking powder, and vanilla - mix well.
- 3Alternately add flour and milk.
- 4Spread into a flan pan, bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and centre is firm to the touch.
- 5Carefully remove from pan, cool on cake rack,when cool place cake on your special serving platter, ice bottom lightly using just enough to seal the cake, give it a few minutes to dry before adding the fruit.
- 6Arrange strawberries ( I cut the strawberries in half arranging concentrically starting at the edge - for variation make a 'strawberry flower' in the centre using about five strawberry halves then arrange the rest of the berries around to the edge) you may go with halving, slicing or whole berries when arranging your fruit - whatever works best for you .
- 7Prepare glaze according to directions cooling slightly and pour over.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Austrian Strawberry Torte
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 76.0 mg
- Sodium 296.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: