There seems to be 2 types of biscuits/cookies that go under this name. These are the Australian version, old-fashioned meltingly soft buttery shortbreads sandwiched together with a butter icing. This recipe came from Super Food Ideas, and it is perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g butter (at room temperature)
- 80 g powdered sugar icing (a confectioner's sugar/cornflour blend sold here in Oz; substitute icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 265 g plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
- 50 g cornflour (cornstarch, (1/3 cup)
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 160 deg Celsius Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, icing sugar/mixture and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- 3Sift together flour and cornflour, and add to the butter mixture.
- 4Mix together gently with a wooden spoon, and then with your hands.
- 5Use lightly floured hands to roll mix into walnut-sized balls.
- 6Put on trays about 5cm apart, and flatten with a lightly floured fork to about 1cm thick.
- 7Bake for about 15 minutes, swapping trays in oven halfway through (ie. at 7 minutes), until cooked through.
- 8Cool on baking trays.
- 9Filling: Use an electric mixer to beat butter, icing sugar/mixture and cocoa together until well-combined.
- 10Sandwich cooled biscuits together with the filling then lightly dust with icing sugar.
- 11Vary the filling flavour by substituting the cocoa with one of the following:.
- 12grated rind of 1 orange.
- 13grated rind of 1 lemon.
- 141 tbsp of passionfruit pulp.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aussie Melting Moments
Serving Size: 1 (898 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.9
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.1 mg
- Sodium 110.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
powdered sugar icing