My friend Robin's Aunt Mary, both of whose parents were born in Hungary, was a legendary cook. This is one of her cakes--a very moist and delightful cake.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Sprinkle apples with sugar and let stand.
- Mix beaten egg and butter.
- Sift in flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and mix very well.
- Fold into apples and make sure the apples are well and evenly coated.
- Mix in raisins and, if desired, nuts.
- Note: we use raisins which have been soaked in bourbon.
- Note 2: If using regular raisins, make sure you plump them in warm water or rum or the like, then drain before adding.
- Place in a buttered 8" x 8" square baking dish or in a buttered bundt pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
- Cool briefly on rack in pan; turn out of the pan and allow to cool to room temperature on a rack.