1 hr 48 mins
1 hr 23 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
I got this via a chef who linked Cooking Light. I'm using her Chimichurri for teh Chimichurri instead of this one. I usu. knead my dough in my Bosch mixer, but it didn't work this time. So I did it by hand. I found a trick: Kneaded it in my seasoned stoneware bar pan and it didn't stick at all, without flour. You won't use all of the black bean spread, so save for a dip with baked tortilla chips, a topping for a taco salad, or as a taco or burrito filler.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water, divided (100-110 degrees)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
For Black Bean Spread
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can 50% -less reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can organic fire-roasted diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
For the Chimichurri
- 1Preheat broiler.
- 2Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane.
- 3Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand.
- 4Broil 12 minutes or until blackened.
- 5Place in a zip-top plastic bag, seal, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 6Peel and cut into 16 strips. Set aside.
- 7Reduce oven temperature to 450°F.
- 8Sprinkle cornmeal over a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. A jellyroll pan works ideally. Set aside.
- 9Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 C warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 10Add remaining 1/2 C water, flour and salt to yeast mixture, stirring until dough forms.
- 11Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- 12Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
- 13Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.).
- 14Roll dough into a 14x11-inch rectangle; place dough on prepared baking sheet.
- 15BLACK BEAN SPREAD: Combine all Black Bean Spread ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 16Spread 1 1/2 C black Bean Spread over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 17Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until crust browns and cheese is bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes.
- 18CHIMICHURRI DRIZZLE: Combine all chimichurri ingredients in a small bowl.
- 19Drizzle chimichurri over cheese.
- 20Cut bread into 16 squares; garnish each square with 1 bell pepper strip.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Argentine Black Bean Flatbread With Chimichurri Drizzle
Serving Size: 1 (1366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.7
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 2.7 mg
- Sodium 298.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced sodium black beans