Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Originally this cake had a layer of gooey apricots between the cake and crumbs but I wasn't paying attention one day and added them to the cake. My daughter decided she liked better with the apricots in the batter. I am partial to the gooey layer. Either way is good with some whipped cream or ice cream. It is also good made with blueberies, peaches, or a combo of fresh fruits in place of the apricots.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh apricots (chopped in medium sized pieces)
- Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter to make crumbs. Set 3/4 cup of crumb mixture aside for topping.
- Add milk, baking powder, vanilla, and EGG YOLKS to mixing bowl. Mix well. Beat EGG WHITES till soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
- If adding apricots to batter do so now.
- Pour batter into lighty sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Evenly sprinkle with apricots (if you didn't add them to the batter). Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Great, easy to make recipe! I'd make a double batch next time, as it went so fast. Wonderful with the fresh apricots.
What a delicious cake! I adjusted the recipe a bit by substituting almond extract for the vanilla and adding slivered almonds to the crumbles on top. Everyone in my office wanted the recipe. I also put the apricots on top with crumbles, and they sank into the cake during baking. Next time I may try a combination of brown and white sugar. This cake is very good served warm with vanilla ice cream or a small dollop of whipped cream on top!