Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the BEST (non-chocolate) dessert I have ever made. I must credit the idea for the recipe to my boss's husband, Harold. When I made these for the family at Christmas time, I had a hard time convincing everyone that I actually made them and didn't buy them from a pastry shop (and I'm known for my desserts)! Please try them...they are EXCELLENT!
- Mix apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix in remaining ingredients below apples.
- Follow directions on phyllo package to keep sheets from drying out.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half lengthwise (not crosswise).
- Working quickly, place one cut sheet of phyllo on damp towel (short end towards you) and brush sparingly with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons walnut crumbs.
- Place another half sheet over the first, brush with melted butter.
- Place 1/2 cup of filling on short end of phyllo approximately 2 inches from edge.
- Add some of the juice from the filling as you make each bundle (don't worry if it leaks a little as you roll).
- Fold end over filling, roll once then fold in both sides by one half inch.
- Roll to other end.
- Press side seams and place on a baking sheet which has been sprayed with Pam.
- Cover with damp towel.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and filling.
- One large baking sheet should hold 9 bundles.
- Once tray is full, brush each bundle with melted butter and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 24 minutes.
- Make second tray while first one is baking.
- As soon as bundles are done, remove from oven and tilt baking sheet.
- Brush the run-off juice over each bundle while still warm.