Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 48 mins
This is the BEST (non-chocolate) dessert I have ever made. I must credit the idea for the recipe to my boss's husband, Harold. When I made these for the family at Christmas time, I had a hard time convincing everyone that I actually made them and didn't buy them from a pastry shop (and I'm known for my desserts)! Please try them...they are EXCELLENT!
- Mix apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Mix in remaining ingredients below apples.
- Follow directions on phyllo package to keep sheets from drying out.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half lengthwise (not crosswise).
- Working quickly, place one cut sheet of phyllo on damp towel (short end towards you) and brush sparingly with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons walnut crumbs.
- Place another half sheet over the first, brush with melted butter.
- Place 1/2 cup of filling on short end of phyllo approximately 2 inches from edge.
- Add some of the juice from the filling as you make each bundle (don't worry if it leaks a little as you roll).
- Fold end over filling, roll once then fold in both sides by one half inch.
- Roll to other end.
- Press side seams and place on a baking sheet which has been sprayed with Pam.
- Cover with damp towel.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and filling.
- One large baking sheet should hold 9 bundles.
- Once tray is full, brush each bundle with melted butter and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 24 minutes.
- Make second tray while first one is baking.
- As soon as bundles are done, remove from oven and tilt baking sheet.
- Brush the run-off juice over each bundle while still warm.
These were delicate and delicous. I cut back on the sugar and syrup because my apples were very sweet to begin with. I struggled with the "cut in 1/2" directions at first until I started to just butter a whole sheet of phyllo and fold it! That made everything quicker. I got about 22 bundles. Yum!
I made this for book club last fall and everyone loved it. It's very fancy looking but quite easy and rewarding in flavor. Serve with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Yummy! This is a great recipe. My family devoured it. I will most definitely make this again.