1/1 Photo of Apple Sour Cream Kuchen
1 hr 15 mins
Family and the folks from church love this cake from Ann Byrn (The Cake Mix Doctor). I've made it many times and experimented with different pan sizes. I've listed my results below so you can choose to make it "moist and gooey" or with a firmer cake base (my preference). Slicing the apples takes some time, but since the recipe uses a cake mix, it goes together faster than you think! This was a "hot item" when sold at a church bake sale (sold in disposable pans).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place a rack in the center of the oven.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 3Lightly grease the pan(s) of your choice according to how moist or firm you like your cake.
- 49x13 inch pan for a moist, gooey cake.
- 510x15 inch jelly roll pan for a firmer, sheet cake.
- 6Or 2 8x10 disposable pans for firm cakes (that are great for bake sales.).
- 7In a large mixing bowl, place the cake mix, sour cream, 4 Tablespoons butter and the egg.
- 8Blend on low speed just until the mixture forms a thick dough (about 1 minute).
- 9Gently press the dough evenly over the bottom of your chosen pan(s) so that it reaches the sides.
- 10Bake for 10 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice in another mixing bowl.
- 12Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- 13Remove the cake from the oven but leave the oven on.
- 14Arrange the apple slices in rows over the top of the cake.
- 15Sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the apples.
- 16Drizzle the remaining 4 Tablespoons of melted butter over the sugar mixture.
- 17Return the pan(s) to the oven and bake the cake until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (30 - 40 minutes for the firmer cakes), (Ann Byrn bakes her 9x13 for 30-32 minutes but this was too gooey in the center for me).
- 18Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- 19This is wonderful warm but also too good to resist when cool.
- 20Store covered at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- 21I have not frozen this cake but it says you can wrap it in foil and freeze it.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Sour Cream Kuchen
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 28.3 mg
- Sodium 212.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g