I didn't believe the recipe when my friend Lesley gave it to me, but having tasted the slice, and loving it, I tried it and had sucess the first time I made it, eveyone loved it. The family call it my "stolen apple slice" It freezes very well!! UPDATE Jubes used a gluten free cake mix, and reports that it turned out very well. Nice dessert for those people that cant tolerate gluten!
- Mix first 3 ingredients together: Press into slice tin, (lined with baking paper) and cook in a moderate oven 20-25 minutes, til very lightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then spread cooked apple carefully over base.
- Pour over about 400gr light sour cream, spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Hints: You'll need to cook about a kilo of Granny Smiths for this, (or use canned apples, but NOT the ones without sugar.) Peel and slice your apples and cook with 1/2 cup water, and sugar to taste.
- Drain and cool before use.
- Be generous with the baking paper, it makes it easier to lift the slice out of the tin.
- Cut the slice when it is cold.
- Nice warm too, but cut in the tin.