Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My college roommate's grandmother used to send us slices of this delicious cake while we roomed together. I begged my roommate to get the recipe from her grandmother. I copied this recipe down during a long distance phone call to her grandmother. Since that day, I've made this many times over. My children today love this one and call it Mom's "college cake".
- Mix eggs, oil and sugar; blend well.
- Add flour, salt and soda.
- Mix well.
- Fold in vanilla, chopped apples and nuts.
- Place into a greased (Pam sprayed) 8-9" tube pan.
- Bake at 350* for one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in saucepan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- While cake is still in the tube pan and still hot, pour warm topping over it.
- Let cake set in pan until cool, or room temperature.
- Invert cake with topping onto serving dish.
- Store covered.