Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My college roommate's grandmother used to send us slices of this delicious cake while we roomed together. I begged my roommate to get the recipe from her grandmother. I copied this recipe down during a long distance phone call to her grandmother. Since that day, I've made this many times over. My children today love this one and call it Mom's "college cake".
- Mix eggs, oil and sugar; blend well.
- Add flour, salt and soda.
- Mix well.
- Fold in vanilla, chopped apples and nuts.
- Place into a greased (Pam sprayed) 8-9" tube pan.
- Bake at 350* for one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in saucepan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- While cake is still in the tube pan and still hot, pour warm topping over it.
- Let cake set in pan until cool, or room temperature.
- Invert cake with topping onto serving dish.
- Store covered.
Made this yesterday as written, and baked in a bundt pan - I had to bake it a little bit longer than the hour baking time, because when I inserted a toothpick it was a tad gooey. Served it with vanilla ice cream and my family absolutely loved it... some asked when we could have it again! Such a yummy treat! Thank you, Fauve, for a winner!
Wonderful moist and delicious cake. I made it once following these directions completely and the second time made healthier substitutions (half yogurt in place of oil, half wheat flour, less sugar, less butter etc) and it was still great.
I baked this yesterday and I'm so pleased with the results. What a ridiculously delicious cake!! Minor adjustments I made; used 4 cups of apple instead of 3 and added 1/2 cup of dried cranberries. Baking time was extended by 10-12 mins, and resulted in a moist and perfect cake. Thank you for posting, this is my new #1 favorite!