When I make apple pie, this is the recipe that I usually use, it always turns out great ---prep time does not include preparing the pastry.
- 1 large pastry pie crust (to fit bottom of a 9 or 10-inch deep dish pie plate)
- 7 -8 large baking apples (Granny Smith is best!)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- Line the bottom of a deep dish pie plate with pastry, flute edges.
- Peel and slice apples thinly and place in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the sliced apples; toss to coat with the juice.
- Then mix in the 3 tablespoons sour cream, mix well; set aside.
- Prepare the crumb topping.
- To make the crumb topping: in a small bowl mix the flour and sugar together; cut in the cold butter until crumbly.
- In another small bowl, mix the 1-1/2 tablespoon flour, 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the flour mixture over the apples; toss well to coat.
- Spoon the apple mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Drizzle with the 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Place the pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet (too catch any spills).
- Bake on the lowest oven rack position at 375 degrees for approximately 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbly and apples feel soft.
- **Note** if you find that the topping is browning too much, cover lightly with foil.
I'm normally a huge Kitten fan but I gotta say this one didn't do it for our family. It just needs more- more sugar, more cinnamon, more nutmeg...maybe some brown sugar in the crumb topping. We thought it was far to tart and a little on the bland side as far as the spices go. I used Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust for the first time (for the bottom crust) and I think it is definitely a keeper!
So delicious! Had some apples to use up and decided to try this and we really loved it! I had 5 apples, which worked perfectly. Now I'm thinking this would be a nice addition to our Christmas dessert spread. Thank you for another great recipe!
Perfect apple pie, kittencal! I used honeycrisp apples and melted the butter for the crumb topping (it's easier for me) and added some oats to it.