Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My DH hates apple cakes and pies of all kinds but will eat this until I stop him and I love apple cake and pies of all kinds and will eat this until I stop myself; in other words everyone loves this cake. This is not a fluffy cake but a good heavy crumb cake with an almost cookie-like crust. The nice thing about this is that you really can use any kind of fresh or frozen fruit or any combination (except strawberries). My personal favorite is apple and apricot. It is especially good with a layer of fruit pie filling on top of the apples like cherry pie filling.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1 cup oil (mild flavored)
- 2 eggs
- 8 -10 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (21 ounce) canfruit pie filling (optional)
- Combine all dough ingredients and mix with mixer until moist and crumbly (you can increase the oil 1 tablespoon at a time until you have the right consistency, sometimes I add a little bit of water too). Spread half of the crumb mixture into the bottoms of two 9" pans or one 10x13 pan.
- Layer the fruit filling over the crumb base.
- Cover the fruit with the remaining crumb dough.
- Bake in a 350 oven for approximately one to two hours or until nicely browned from edge to center. Enjoy!
Very good recipe. I have made recipes similar to this before but none of them had a crumb topping that retained it's crunchy texture. The recipe did not state what type of apple or size so I used 3 1/2 lbs of Granny Smith apples which is a tart baking apple.I found 1/2 cup of sugar was not enough. If your using tart apples an omitting the canned filling you need to increase sugar to 3/4 to 1 cup. I also increased the cinnamon to 2 tsp. It took longer to bake in the 9x13 pan. approximately 1 1/2 hours overall. Thanks for the recipe,
We are very fond of apples and enjoyed this Apple Crumb Cake. Not having vanilla sugar on hand I added a a teaspoon of real vanilla - baked in a 9x13 pan - other then that made as posted. Made for a very nice dessert.
Good recipe. I should have baked longer. Will make again.