1/2 Photos of Aloha Hawaiian Banana Bread
1 hr 15 mins
I love this recipe because it uses really ripe bananas that you can catch on sale so it saves money and because Splenda works well in it. I've never tried the other national brands of artificial sweeteners, so I can't comment on how they'll work. You can also make this with regular sugar. If you do, OMIT the honey. Macadamias are very expensive, but wonderful in this recipe. Pecans and walnuts work just as well. Use either or a mixture of the two for an extra kick. Try it for breakfast with a cup of hot tea or coffee. This recipe yields 2 good size loaves so you can enjoy one now and freeze the other or pass it along to a friend.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 cups bread flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts (macadamias are preferred)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola oil or 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, in its own juice, drained
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- bakers joy cooking spray (or extra flour and shortening)
- 1Your will need two (8 1/2x4 1/2x3) loaf pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Spray two (8 1/2x4 1/2x3) loaf pans with Bakers Joy (or grease and flour) and set aside.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and stir with a wire wh.isk to blend well.
- 5Stir in nuts to combine and set aside.
- 6In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, mashed bananas, pineapple, vanilla and honey (if you're using Splenda) Stir lightly just to mix.
- 7Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix only enough to moisten the dry.
- 8DO NOT overmix or your bread will be tough and heavy.
- 9Its ok to have some lumps.
- 10Spoon the dough into the two pans,making sure to divide it equally between the two.
- 11Bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- 12A good rule of thumb is to check after about 50 minutes.
- 13Insert a toothpick or bamboo skewer into the center to test for doneness.
- 14This bread will crack--don't worry.
- 15Once done, remove to wire racks and cool for about 10-12 minutes in pans.
- 16Turn the bread out carefully onto the racks.
- 17Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes upside down, then carefully turn right side up to finish cooling.
- 18As with any bread, slice with a serrated knife and enjoy.
- 19Just a note--if you use Splenda or any artificial sweetener, the shelf life will be shorter and texture may not be the same than if you had used real sugar.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloha Hawaiian Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.4
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 259.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g